There are two PhD programs in the Barcelona GSE research community:
Graduate Program in Economics, Finance and Management (GPEFM) at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
International Doctorate in Economic Analysis (IDEA) at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
Both GPEFM and IDEA are organized jointly with the Barcelona GSE. Many students in both programs are alumni of the Barcelona GSE master's programs.
- Placement results for GPEFM and IDEA graduates
Launched in the early 1990s, both IDEA and GPEFM are leading PhD programs with established academic reputations and a track record of placements in Economics departments, central banks, and research institutions around the world.
Placements for recent GPEFM graduates include:
- Bocconi University (Italy)
- Federal Reserve Board (USA)
- International Monetary Fund (USA)
- Inter-American Development Bank (USA)
- Queen Mary University (UK)
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business (USA)
- University of Vienna (Austria)
Placements for recent IDEA graduates include:
- Bank of Canada
- Goethe University Frankfurt (Germany)
- McMaster University (Canada)
- NERA Economic Consulting (Spain)
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- University of Edinburgh (UK)
- University of Southampton (UK)
- La Caixa-Severo Ochoa International Doctoral Fellowships
- "La Caixa" Foundation funds doctoral fellowships for students and candidates of the Barcelona GSE's PhD programs at UPF and UAB. The Foundation supports doctoral fellowships at those institutions which have received the Severo Ochoa Excellence Accreditation. Learn more
The Barcelona GSE PhD Jamboree is an opportunity for students in both PhD programs in the Barcelona GSE community to show off their research, exchange ideas, and receive feedback on work in progress. The Jamboree is organized and led by GPEFM and IDEA students.
The Jamboree's 2016 program included 21 papers by current students, 2 from alumni, and a special presentation by BGSE founder Andreu Mas-Colell on "The Training of Economists."